President Obama has just pardoned his eighth and final pair of thanksgiving turkeys. And though he’ll only be the leader of the free world for a little while longer, the departing President made it clear that he’ll be the king of the dad joke for a long while yet.
And despite the fact that his children weren’t there, the president still found the time to work some outrageous turkey and thanksgiving puns into his pardoning speech.
There were nine in total (though some of the more subtle ones might have gone over our heads), and we’ve collected them together here for your cringing pleasure.
1. “Everyone knows that Thanksgiving traffic can put people in a fowl mood.”
2. “I want to take a moment to recognize the brave turkeys who weren’t so lucky, who didn’t get to ride the gravy train to freedom and who met their fate with courage and sacrifice and proved that they weren’t chicken.”
3. “That’s worth gobbling about.”
4. “A corny-copia of dad jokes about turkey.”
5. “We’re not leaving any room for leftovers”
6. “We should also make sure everyone has something to eat on Thanksgiving, except for the turkeys because they’re already stuffed.”
7. “No way I’m cutting this habit cold turkey.”
8. “Yes we cran.”
A wonderful call-back to his 2008 presidential campaign, this reminder of the ‘Yes We Can’ mantra was a lovely way to round off the festival of dad jokes, and the perfect note with which to tie up Obama’s final ever turkey pardon.